Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Family Traditions


I am realizing now more than ever just how amazing and wonderful family traditions are.

Some of my favorites from the Brown fam are, fondue every new year (or whenever we can fit it in around all of our busy holiday schedule now that we are older). The Brown bro's re-enactment of the Christmas story (with Dan as Mary:-), Matt as Joeseph and Tim as the baby Jesus, and me as the narrator). Or, going to Grandma and Grandpa Brown's house in Evansville, MN every thanksgiving with all the aunts, uncles, and cousins packed into their small kitchen and fighting for grandma Brown's famous fruit salad and amazing mashed potatoes and gravy! And hopefully our new family tradition from this year was my all-time favorite cornhole tourney. Yes...I am the undefeated champion from our weekend together at the cabin!

With all these traditions and memories in my heart from growing up until now, I am now wondering what traditions we will start as a family. Not just for the holidays, but all throughout the year and while Brianna is growing up and Brown baby #2 (still not sure, but hopefully we will find out tomorrow). What will they remember when they are my age? What will be most near and dear to their hearts? What will they want to pass on to their families?

I want to be the best dad possible and I want to be creative and I want to be a family that has fun and celebrates together! I want to put more time and creativity and efforts into my family and Janet and Bri than I do into my ministry! I want to be the kind of dad that spends TIME with my kids that they will forever remember and never want to stop the "tradition". I want to create moments and life change in my marriage. I want Janet to feel more valued than I am currently showing. I want her to feel like she get s the best of me and not the leftovers. I want Brianna to see her daddy as her #1 fan and cheerleader. I want her to know that she comes as my first ministry and not as sloppy seconds.

With this in mind I think traditions are a key part of that and I need help. I heard some pretty creative and simple ideas today at lunch with our staff, but I would love to hear other ideas and traditions for making memories as a dad and husband. What are some traditions that you did growing up? What are your most memorable and special? Which ones had the most impact?

I just simply want to be the BEST dad and husband that I can be.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is a great thought! Especially for me, I think I need to make sure my family never feels like they have sloppy seconds, or that I am more married to the church than to my wife!
I am not really sure about traditions, but I think all-around, regardless of what traditions you decide to pursue, if you do what you said, and spend TIME with your kids, then they will love whatever it is you do. That's why sons will go hunting for years even though they hate it, and why daughters will pretend that they enjoy watching the TV shows their dad watches, because they just want to be with daddy.I know that you will be and already are a great dad.
One thing I always loved doing growing up was going to cut a fresh Christmas tree. The whole day was such a fun-filled event for me as a kid. Are you talking Christmas traditions, or traditions in general?

THOUGHTS FOR THE THIRSTY said...

Traditions in general. I agree with your thoughts on TIME. And thanks for your encouragement Ben. I would love to read some of your blogs and thoughts if you are willing.

Matt Brown said...

You stinker, you won at cornhole, but don't need to brag about it to everyone in the world who can read your blog : )

As for being a great dad to Bri, think you pretty much take the cake : )