Tuesday, December 30, 2008

My Excuse For Far Too Long

We have excuses for everything, don't we? As one of my fellow pastor's, Jason Hirsch used to say all the time. "Excuses are like rear ends. Everyone has them and they all stink."

The problem is I like to use them. They get me out of things...like taking out the trash, finishing the painting in Brianna's room, cleaning out my garage, and so many other things on the to do list. Well, maybe they really don't work after all. Janet (my wife) is really good at sniffing out lame excuses and calling me on them. I admire her drive and self-discipline.

Some of the top excuses I have used in the past in no particular order:
1. I can't go into full-time ministry, I would have to preach, and I am so afraid to speak in public.
2. I can't spend time with God today. I have way too much things to get done and not enough time.
3. I am not going to finish that now honey, i will do it later, I am way too tired. (This never works, I don't even know why I try to use it anymore.)
4. I am not going to work out today, I am too tired/lazy/sick/busy/etc.
By the way, check out David in the picture above, he has got some serious stinkin' guns!

My greatest passion in life is give my life away in such a way that I bring LIFE to everyone I come in contact with. If I were to choose my epitaph, I would want it to say, "His Life Gave Us Life" With this in mind, I truly believe that God has called me to train and mentor this next generation of pastors and specifically youth pastors, kinda like a Samuel to the David's of this next generation. I see my God-given calling is to see potential in others (maybe even potential that most others do not even see) and call it out and annoint them for their God-given position and calling.

I have had so many amazing mentors that have poured their guts into me and believed in me. People like, my mom and dad, my youth pastor,Barry Phipps, Darin Poli, Nate Ruch, Jeanne Mayo, Dan Hunter (former yp of Seven Student Ministries), Art VanZanten (my bro in-law), Sam Farina, and many many others.

With all that they have poured into me, I have felt a strong passion and calling to pour into others and speak life over them like so many have done for me. However, MY EXCUSE FOR FAR TOO LONG has been:

5. I can't mentor other youth pastors. I am young. I have nothing to offer. I am just a nobody from a small town and small church. Why would anyone want to listen to me? I don't think people would want to learn from me. What if they think I am some "cocky" pastor who thinks he knows it all? I need to get a few more years of proven ministry under my belt.

I now realize, but wish I would have realized sooner, that not only is this a God-given passion, but a God-given mandate to all Christians. I cannot afford to wait until I know more, am smarter and more wise. I am called and I must puh past all my fears and excuses and step up to the plate and go to bat. Future ministers are waiting and may just be waiting out in the fields watching the sheep. Current youth pastors may need a dose of hope and vision, because they have been wandering in the dessert and are not seeing their God-given dreams fulfilled and maybe even are having spears thrown at them. Whatever the story may be, I know my excuse for far too long have been lame and pathetic. I know that it is time for me to rise up and mentor the next generation. I know that it has been so many other's excuse for far too long as well and it is time for this generation of pastors and lay people to rise up and call out, annoint, and inspire the next generation of ministers of the Gospel of Jesus Christ!

How about you? Will you lay aside all excuses and step up to this high calling, to be a Samuel to the Davids?
Romans 15:1-6

5 comments:

Coop said...

Dude, we totally need to go have lunch sometime and just hang out. I'll even buy. This is amazing, powerful, and so true. Not to mention I need to get my tail in gear and finish my application for ministry credentials!

Matt Brown said...

You've already been a huge mentor to me for years : )

LA Nickers said...

Nice entry.

Blessings in 2009.


HEART OF A READY WRITER – Reading Through the Bible in 2009

Unknown said...

This is beautiful!!! No matter how old we are we have to keep getting rid of excuses!! Besides, it feels so great to actually do the normal and amazing things God has called us to do, don't you think? Thanks for leading the pack for your 3 amazing brothers, and setting the course!!

keithdaugherty said...

Acknowledgment is half the battle my friend. As an "old guy" that has long used excuses to avoid a God-given mandate due to my own fears and insecurities, I can say that now you must act. I'm not preaching...just commenting. Personally, I fully believe that God will use you mightily to be successful in His mandate on your life. Age does not matter! Wasted years of avoiding God's desire to use you for His will do! God has used many a young man throughout history to make major changes in the lives of men, communities, and the world. He has already used you mightily in the lives of both the young and the old! Take the first scary step, and He will take you on one fantastic and interesting journey!

keith daugherty